A proud member of


What is the Local Offer?


The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper to detail what local services are available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower level SEN as well as the options to support families who need additional help to care for their child.


The Wakefield framework will allow the Local Offer to provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area and what they can expect from those services. It will let parents/carers and young people know how school and colleges will support them and what they can expect across local schools and colleges.  Click the link HERE to find out more information about the Wakefield SEND Local Offer.

Sharlston School – Our Local Offer

At Sharlston Community Primary School we deliver quality first teaching to every child, adapting the curriculum to cater for and meet the specific needs of each child.

1. How does school know if children need extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers of the child,
  • Limited progress is being made,
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress.

2. What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. You can also contact the school SENCO, Mrs Graham, via the main office.

3. How will I know how the school supports my child?

  • Each pupil’s education will be planned and monitored by initially their class teacher and then by senior leaders. The school aims to share as much as possible with parents and two pupil progress meetings throughout the year where progress and support will be discussed. Informal sessions are important to Sharlston School and we hold regular Meet the Teacher, Creative events and try to create as many opportunities as possible for parents to come into school and see what goes on.
  • If identified by the class teacher your child may receive additional support in the form of class focus group, pre teaching or an intervention. This will include additional support from the teacher or teaching assistant. We are working hard to ensure this is not during creative curriculum time as we do not want any children having to miss the lessons they really enjoy.
  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy and literacy skills, etc. then the pupil may be placed in a small focus group. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions, which are steps taken to provide additional support, will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain their effectiveness and to inform future planning. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.
  • Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside service such as Speech and Language Therapy or Occupational Therapy. A request for involvement may be made to the Local Authority with your consent, in order to discuss the most appropriate way forward with either the Educational Psychology service or the Learning Support Service. After an assessment of need, appropriate support or advice will be provided and shared with parents.
  • The Governors of Sharlston Primary School are responsible for entrusting a named Governor who will monitor the SEN provision and use of funding in our school. In a support and challenge role, the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the Department for Education. The governor met with Mrs Graham April 2018.

4. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • All work within the classroom is tailored to individual child’s needs by the class teacher to best enable children to access the curriculum.
  • Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-to-1 or small group to target more specific needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given a supporting me to learn plan or a learner profile document.
  • If a child has an EHCP they may follow a differentiated curriculum and will have named adults to deliver this with advice from external agencies.
  • Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by staff and the SENCO three times per year. Plans and profiles will be discussed with parents/carers at pupil progress meetings and a copy given to them.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencil grips or easy-to-use scissors.

5. How will I know how my child is doing?

  • Through the school’s assessment and reporting systems, you will be kept regularly informed about your child’s progress.
  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at pupil progress meetings and will receive a yearly written report.
  • Appointments can be made at any point in the year to speak, in more detail, with members of staff if you require.
  • SEN children may have Learner Profiles, Supporting me to Learn Plans, my Support Plans or Education Health Care Plans. All of these will regularly be shared with parents.

6. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Staff may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • The Headteacher, SENCO or Learning Mentor may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies to use if there are difficulties with a child’s behaviour/social and emotional needs.
  • If outside agencies or the educational psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided and should be used at home.
  • This home-school partnership is essential.

7. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties:

  • Members of staff are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns including our Learning Mentor (Mrs Clayton) and SENCO (Mrs Graham).
  • Additional support may be provided for pupils who find social times challenging.
  • We have safe spaces for children who need emotional support. The Rainbow Room is used for small social groups, meetings between parents and the SENCO Mrs Graham or for any child wanting to come and talk with Mrs Graham (SENCO) or Mrs Clayton (Learning Mentor). We have a Waterfall Room where children with behavioural and emotional problems can calm down in a quiet, safe environment.SEN Pupils with medical needs:
  • If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Health Care Plan will be provided by a medical professional. These are shared with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Staff receive EpiPen/diabetic/epilepsy training delivered as required.
  • Where necessary, and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school but only where a signed consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • Identified staff have basic first aid training and members of Early Years team have paediatric first aid qualifications.

8. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • At times it may be necessary to consult with outside services to receive their more specialised expertise.
  • An educational psychologist is allocated to schools. She would normally only work directly with pupils whose needs are considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them.
  • In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent/carer and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. She will offer advice to the school and parent/carer on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.
  • Meetings are held to discuss and prioritise the needs of pupils and good practice is shared.
  • The educational psychologist suppporting Sharlston School is Dr Emma Lambley.

9. What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEN had (or are having)?

Different members of staff have received training related to Special Education Needs and Disabilities. This may include sessions on:

  • Cognition and learning (e.g. autistic spectrum)
  • Communication and interaction (e.g. speech and language difficulties) eg Makaton
  • Physical and sensory needs (e.g. co-ordination needs)
  • Social, mental and emotional health (15 school staff have recently completed a ten hour programme from CAMHs)

10. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

At Sharlston we strive to ensure that all of our children are fully included in the curriculum we offer.

  • Activities and school trips are available to all. Pupil Premium children are funded for one trip per school year.
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • If it is deemed that an intensive level of 1-to-1 support is required, you may be asked to accompany your child during the activity.
  • Additional senior leadership support is given during school trips.


11. How accessible is the school environment?

  • We are a single storey school and have both a ramp and stairs to access the building. Toilets and hand washing facilities are height appropriate for the age of the children accessing them. We are an old building and this can often cause us practical limitations however we work hard to over come these.

12. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining or carrying out transition visits?

  • All pupils can attend a transition day or a series of visits.
  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools/settings happen prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher and other members of staff.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • School staff are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Photo transition books are often used, especially over the holidays, so children can visualise their new setting and staff faces.
  • The children visit their chosen secondary schools in Year 6 to prepare them for joining their new school.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with relevant staff from both schools, the parents/carers and where appropriate, the pupil.

13. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs.
  • Resources may include using extra staff, purchasing specialist equipment or making use of specialist external agencies to support the needs of the child depending on individual circumstances.

14. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • These decisions are made in consultation with teachers, SENCO and senior leadership team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and/or as a result of assessments by outside services.
  • During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s wellbeing or lack of progress, then other interventions may be arranged.


15. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

  • All parents/carers have a responsibility to support their child’s education
  • Parents/carers support home learning and act upon targets set in Learner Profiles and Supporting me to Learn Plans.
  • Discussions with teachers/SENCO/other professionals.
  • Attendance at Pupil Progress Meetings.

16. Who can I contact for further information?

  • If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs, or other issues regarding your child’s schooling, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the relevant staff member.

We have an open door policy at Sharlston School and are always more than happy to meet with parents. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or would like more information regarding SEN.

Mrs Stacey Graham

School SENCO

Translate »